I volunteered at a camp this next week, (the next few posted will reflect that). I was looking after a cabin of 13 year old girls. The first night, after watching the group of them talk amongst each other, I remembered how beautiful it is to watch young kids come into their own. I remember being that age and trying to find ways of identifying myself. And I think it's important to be thankful for these moments. We grow up so fast that we forget that at some point, we did put an effort into finding out what truly makes us unique. By the end of the week the girls seemed to have some sort of connection with me, one of which wrote me a full out poem. This almost brought me to tears. Being able to impact these kids in a positive way, without fully intending on doing so, is such a blessing. You see young adults quickly being preoccupied with things that begin to skew them into the jaded perspective we have as adults. And a part of you wants to scream out, STOP! But, you can't, that's part of the learning process. And being able to positively affect these girls makes me feel so blessed. Because I see how hard it is to reach out to kids nowadays, and even if it was just one girl who said it outwardly, that's really all that matters. But nonetheless, I remember the counsellors, mentors, teachers etc. that have impacted me so much. And to be able to be that for at least ONE ki
d, makes me feel so honoured.
d, makes me feel so honoured.
No comments:
Post a Comment