Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 15 - first impressions

Meeting someone for the first time I used to find tiring. It's always the same old conversation; where do you go? what do you do? oh really? that's cool. But then I realised, first conversations are almost like a clean slate. In the last couple days I've had the opportunity to meet a handful of people. And, although these conversations are superficial, they also offer new opportunities. Each time it's tabula rasa, a chance to express each other's person in its most current state, and to a a fresh eye. So many times do we find ourselves in situations where preconceived impressions of us can shadow the people we may have grown into. It's like going back home after moving out and your mom can't get over the 18 year old image of you. Even though you've grown from that, to her you will always be that 18 year old. And yes there's something beautiful in that, but the idea of two people expressing their most current selves in a first impression has so much potential behind it!

No comments:

Post a Comment