Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 24 - opportunities that make you nervous

Today I was offered an opportunity to organizes an activity for the camp I'm volunteering for. I haven't done something like this in almost a decade, and my knowledge is a little rusty. Later that afternoon I went to a thesis defence, which was pretty impressive, and I began thinking about how the two are slightly related. Both of these things, from something small like organizing a poetry reading to writing a masters thesis, are opportunities to build on yourself. In life, you could take an expected road and ride the wave to see where you end up. But there are also moments where certain opportunities are handed to you, that might seem daunting, but help you pave your own path. In the same vein of "life not putting things on your plate you can't handle", these challenges are meant for your personal growth. After thinking about this, I look back on all of the amazing opportunities I've had in my life, finding work in other countries alone, being accepted into an extremely demanding program, having to manage a project because no one else was willing, even being hired by Starbucks which requires a level of expertise when making beverages, the list goes on. All of these were opportunities which made me really nervous, each and every one of them. In the end though, these opportunities are something to really be cherished. Yes, they make you nervous, but that's the whole point. You could take the easy road, but then you really wouldn't be challenged, you really wouldn't be growing so really, what's the point?

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post. In fact, I've read it a couple times over. Now you got me thinking and reflecting. I like that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's refreshing to hear it from someone else.

    Eager Reader

    ReplyDelete