The other day I was walking downtown Toronto taking photos for research, and this sweet business man came into my photo deliberately and smiled. And I laughed at him, and took his photo. And it occured to me that taking yourself a little too seriously really puts up barriers. And at moments like this one, with this great quirky little man, you can make connections with people. And it does brighten your day. I know I've had plenty of days where I'd be walking downtown, upset or having heavy things on my mind, and get a little laugh or be pleasantly bothered by some candid and happy man or woman. I remember this one time there was a man that used to sit in front of the convenience store in my place in Boston, and we hadn't ever spoken. One day I went into the store and he tapped me saying, why aren't you smiling today? It was so great. These people, the ones who don't take social barriers too seriously, really lighten your day, and have the capacity to make you smile in sometimes the worst of times, which I think is
truly a gift.
truly a gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment