A friend asked me today "Do you think you'd like yourself if you met yourself?" and by habit I answered, "No way." But, I thought about and then replied again saying, "Yes actually". It's taken me a while to begin to accept myself as a person. I'm not completely there yet obviously, but being around people who are honest about their limitations, flaws and genuinely care about their well being, (emotionally, spiritually and physically) has been so encouraging. We have the capacity to see all aspects of ourselves, and to me that's a novelty, there are very few things you can know to that capacity in this world. At the end of the day if you can't look in the mirror and see a worthwhile person then how do you expect others to? And by accepting our own flaws, limitations and quirks, it makes it easier accept these things in other people. I find the people who have realistic expectations and humble views of themselves such inspirations, because they not only have a firm handle of themselves, but also are the most generous, non-judgemental and embracing people I've met. And I'd like to formally thank them for helping me begin to accept myself and for accepting all of us.

No comments:
Post a Comment