Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 53 - helpful strangers

It was nearly midnight when I was lost on a rural highway while driving home. I stopped by a roadside coffee shop and spoke to some local men that were loitering outside of the Tim Hortons. I spent three minutes getting great directions from them and headed home safe. I tend to lose faith in people quite often, I find myself pretty intolerable of people sometimes. And it's at times like these that I realise how awful that is. It's hard to remember that there is genuine good in every person, when we live in such a fast paced society. We tend to take things at face value and forget to tap into the gems that people can offer us. But there are times when someone helps you find your way, picks up your dropped change or lets you in before them in line, when you're reminded that people are compassionate. These gestures are blessings not only because they offer you relief from difficult moments in your life, but rather that they are reminders of the kindness that you can find in people. They are reminders that we really should stop, say thank-you and make honest connections with the people around us. Thank goodness for these people, because in a culture like ours, these tokens of generosity are sometimes all we have to remind us that there's more to people then just the surface that blurs as we zoom by.

No comments:

Post a Comment