I was driving back from Toronto this evening just after the sun was setting. As I drove out of the city the skyline and car lights came on, the construction cranes in the skyline looked like silhouettes, and the on and off ramps I zoomed under we in shadow. I missed the city. I wanted to move back, and I thought of the infrastructure, the pollution, the dirtiness, the loud sirens at night and I smiled. And I tried to pinpoint why something like this would bring me so much joy? And I realised why. I love big cities because there's a rawness to them. They are a huge living and breathing representation of people. As much bad as they do, for the environment, with their crime, for sanity, there's just as much good, life, motivation, inspiration. They really are whole. And I think that's what energizes me most. A city, a true old gritty city, makes you feel alive. Because it's a reminder of the layers that you have. It reminds us and lets us evolve all the different parts of ourselves. And for that I'm so thankful for the opportunity of getting to know so many great cities. And I use the term, 'getting to know', because they are living things; complete things that are made of so many whole and raw people.

No comments:
Post a Comment