It's hard to accept the fact that not everyone is going to accept you, but I find it harder to accept that you aren't going to relate to everyone the way you want to. I remember a long time ago, when I felt I couldn't relate to or wasn't accepted by people, I had to reevaluate myself. But of course with time comes confidence, and with confidence comes acceptance of others. I think it's important to interact with others who have more, less and different experiences than us, especially if those experiences are ones which you may or may not respect or understand. The entire world is based on laws of relativity and to say that we can truly understand ourselves without looking outwardly is not fair. I'm not saying to use others in order to identify yourself, because that would be wrong. I'm saying that having people around you with completely different preoccupations, values and outlooks can be reaffirming and enlightening. The only way you're ever going to understand this world is to understand how it may affect people who take it completely differently than you do. And I think truly understanding those perspectives is a great gift. Because in that understanding comes a new found respect for the person you may or may not have written off had you not given them the chance. 

No comments:
Post a Comment