Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 47 - long drives home

I spent the last week in the woods, without technology or contact with anyone. During the ride home I wrote in my journal reflecting on the week. I wrote about the week as an isolated moment and explained how I didn't know how I could apply its impact into my life. And as I was writing this, we left the campgrounds and emerged from the woods and my cellphone regained signal. I received more and more messages as we drove and I found this really beautiful. The long ride home was so therapeutic. It's a true test of my patience, which is pretty short, and made me realise how important process is in life. I'm not going to figure out these answers right away, but just as the messages in my inbox accumulated the closer we got to civilization, or the closer we got to our destination; everything that happens within one isolated moment will tie into another eventually. And for that, long drives home are the best way to savour that process. They're the best way to tell yourself to slow down and take a breather between moments, and let yourself digest them.

No comments:

Post a Comment