Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 166 - indulgence

I really think the key to a healthy life is a life of balance. I don't believe in limiting yourself of things that you love, even if some of those things are kind of bad for you. That's not to say you should go put yourself in danger, and on a regular basis. But, I mean, lets say you love fatty food, cigarettes, or something along those lines. Indulging in these things once in a while I really don't think is wrong. Sure, indulgence can easily lead to bad habits, like addiction and constant binge eating or what have you. But I do think that life is balancing between pleasure and self control, and people who are consumed by diets and self restraint are not listening to their bodies, and in some ways lack self-awareness. Sometimes, whether we like it or not, we have to indulge in some of these temptations. The lesson we all need to learn is one of responsible self control. We can't fall to the mercies of our temptations, but we also can't imprison ourselves from them. Its important to be able to distinguish what is a guilty pleasure, and what is actually harmful to ourselves. But indulging in these guilty pleasures, I think is the only way to live a balanced lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment