Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 190 - paying it forward

I needed some change today to pay for a subway token. I was in the subway entrance with another woman. We both realised we had to buy them from a machine in order to do so, but I had no change. After the both of us complaining how impersonal and frustrating it was, I headed out the door to go buy something and break some of my bills into change for the machine. She stopped me saying, "Wait do you just need one token?" And I said,

"Yeah I'll just get some change from the store or something."
"You can just have one of mine."
"Oh, don't worry about it"
"No seriously, just take one"
"Really? I wouldn't feel right about it"
"Just Pay It Forward, don't worry about it"

I took the token and was really happy. The interaction was not more than two minutes, and it made my day. Not because I pocketed the $2.75 subway fare, sure that was nice, but it was the fact that she asked me to Pay It Forward as payment. It really gave me hope in people. She not only helped me, on instant, but wanted to help others too. So wherever you are I'd like to thank you kind lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment