When we're younger we assume that the cliques diminish after highschool, and in some cases this is true. But more often than not we find ourselves in situations where groups refuse to intermingle. In the last little while I've been invited to three separate social events that were 'exclusive' in the sense that guests were hand picked. Now as much as this should make a person feel honoured, I was kind of uncomfortable with it. These 'restricted' events are an extension of the personal barriers people put up. I understand that one can't invite everyone and their dog to every event, but the length that some people go to in order to keep things private and hush hush makes me feel uncomfortable. But there are people, that extend themselves with open arms and try to maintain inclusive social environments. I think these are great examples to learn from, because these fake barriers people put up are just another way to hep them identify themselves, and a way of defending their own insecurities. And I can respect that, but what inclusive people can teach us is that the more we embrace other people, the more we can learn about and be comfortable in ourselves. At least rather than putting up walls in order to maintain a level of safety from our own insecurities.

No comments:
Post a Comment