Being single has let me participate in 'dating game' yet again, for the first time in almost five years. Having matured quite a bit since the last time I dated, there's a few things I've realised. As of now I'm not interested, nor looking for companionship, but seeing the differences in the way people approach dating made me realise that for one, I'm thankful I'm not really participating, and two, I'm really glad there are people in this world who aren't afraid to be upfront about what they want. There's so much passive aggressive behavior in our culture, and frankly I find it pretty tiring. Even this whole 'game' is really just another way of people not exposing themselves, speaking too soon and feeling like crap about it. The chase, the acting like you're not interested, the subtle yet not forward enough to be exposed advances, they're all mind games. Both men and woman do it, and I've come to realise that it's simply an indication of not wanting to be vulnerable. When you over complicate a situation, you're just creating a mask or distraction from ourselves and sharing our feelings. We've become accustom to subtly expressing pretty profound emotions. We are non-confrontational, diplomatic and politically correct, and in the dating game this becomes quite the gong show if you ask me. You're interested in someone, what the heck is wrong with saying that, and putting those thoughts on the table? It kills any time wasted on feelings that aren't reciprocated. Over the last couple of weeks I've been approached by both men who play the 'game' and men who don't and although in both cases I wasn't interested, I appreciated the openness from upfront men. Things are less complicated, no games and it was easy to say, sorry I'm just not feeling it, and of course, there were no hard feelings! Honestly, feelings really shouldn't be that complicated, and I'm glad that there are people in this world that let us express our feelings so freely and without getting offended.

No comments:
Post a Comment