I've listening to this song lately, on my drives to and from school. It makes me think a lot of the preoccupations of North American culture. We really are focused on monetary success. Well, maybe its not just us, more of a global problem, either way. What I wanted to talk about today is the people in this world that comment on these situations, but in an accessible, even funny way. I think it's important that people become aware of political and social problems that might be happening around them, but at the end of the day being an extreme activist isn't necessarily getting the message across. I think what satire does and any other politically active movement, is help the general public be aware of things. And sure, elitist might snub their noses at it, but who really cares? The masses are what is gonna instigate change in anything, and I think that any high-brow or extreme way of expressing that only makes the general population more detached and indifferent, and in some ways is just as bad as the issue itself. So today I am thankful for the people who actually want to shed a new light on what we, as a collective, just get used to. But the people who do it in a way that makes it accessible to us, because that's what's important. Making the difference, not saying you want to.

No comments:
Post a Comment