Friday, October 23, 2009

Day 155 - solid advice

I am often giving advice to people, but never able to give it to myself. Good advice, I think, is very hard to come by. Why? Well, anyone can tell you their opinion, that is was advice is, you are advising in someone else for a solution to a problem. So, the advice should always be seen as a subjective opinion. But what differentiates advice, from good advice, is that it stays with you and forces a change in either your thinking or behaviour towards a situation. And I think the key to doing so is proper communication. You are trying to help someone come to terms with a problem. That involves a level of exchange. So easily do we dish out an opinion on a matter rather than sitting down and trying to help a person find their own solution. And that's the key here, we're not supposed to solve each others problems, no. What we can do though is offer enough guidance so that clarity and answers are found within themselves. The best way to learn anything is by figuring it out yourself no? I had a really sincere conversation with a new friend of mine and he gave me some of the most obvious, but solid advice I've heard in a long time. He told me something that I've heard for years about a reoccurring issue of mine, but the way he phrased it made it so easy to digest that it really hit home. It's been two days since our conversation and I still feel very much effected by the realisation I came to after we talked. But without the probing questions and delivery of his opinion, I really don't think that realisation would have come at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment