Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 152 - accepting change in friendships

For the most part, friendships have phases. People drift in and out of each other, or at least in most cases they do. It's very seldom that you find a friend that you relate to 100% of your life, to the capacity you once did. I think we tend to think, that the moment we drift apart from a person, that friendship has lost its meaning. I also think that we have a tendency to take this way too personally. I have a friend I was once 'best friends' with, for years, and over time we drifted apart, and not for any reason other than the fact that we just had different life tracks. There was some awkwardness when we would talk about our friendship to each other and others, because we always assumed we had to stay 'best friends' but recently, we both came to the conclusion that, no we're not the closest of friends we once were, but we obviously still care about each other. And I think a lot of times we're afraid to say this, because we assume this as a bad thing. But realistically, it isn't. People change, life moves us in different directions, and that's nothing to feel bad about. What was once important to a person may not be to the other later on in life. But that doesn't mean you can't be there for each other. And this isn't a personal attack on either person's life decisions. Instead of taking offense to this change, accepting it for what it is will only let the relationship between the two of you blossom. Once this was laid out on the table, our friendship blossomed. Instead of scorning the other person for not being the 'best friend' we once were to each other, we began to appreciate what each other had to offer. It was a re-growth in some ways, and I'm so thankful for that. Because this person does mean a lot to me, and I know that we can't be in each others lives to the capacity we once were, but that's no reason to write off the friendship all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment