I took a new way home last night and ended up getting lost for half an hour or so. Being lost, and this goes beyond physically navigating yourself, you could be lost emotionally, with a project, spiritually, a career path, and so on, nonetheless it is an interesting situation. It can be frustrating, exhausting and at some points terrifying. But I think it's important that we sometimes let ourselves be lost. I often beat myself up for not focusing my thesis, or even personal projects. And although cutting yourself too much slack could end up in an endless cycle of thesis options, unfinished projects, dead end jobs, and so on, savouring the process of exploring is important. Because something brought you to this point, and it's mostly something you need to discover. So I told myself last night, when I started getting uncomfortable with where I was going, that the second I felt I was being irresponsible and putting myself in a lot of danger, I would turn around, and retrace my tracks. But, my lost path turned into something familiar. Sometimes the pieces fall together and I think it's important to let that leash loose sometimes.

No comments:
Post a Comment