Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 107 - friends who indulge in my quirks

We all have little quirks that make us unique, but can also irritate other people. I can't think of one friend I have that doesn't have some ridiculous and irrational tendency. But the thought of them actually make me smile sometimes: from being an unreasonable perfectionist, obsessive tendencies to needing a specific type of utensil to eat with. I obviously have many little neuroses, one being that I'm over-analytical, almost to a fault. For a friend to embrace these things with an open heart and mind, shows a sincere consideration for you; and you as a whole. There are moments where people see these things as faults, reasons to judge, disassociate with or ignore you. We've grown very used to only accepting the easily digestible aspects of someones personality. But sometimes, those little quirks that need a bit of patience to deal with, help you really value a person. Because although these neuroses seem like irritants, they actually stem from very positive core aspects of a person. And furthermore, are probably the reason of many achievements and positive attributes. An incorrigible person, who obsesses about every little thing, will stick out a problem, relationship or friendship through hell and high water. A perfectionist will always try to do the best possible thing in most circumstances, and can be relied upon. Yes these things have their downfalls, and we should be weary of the negative tendencies they might manifest, but they also make up so much of what's integral to our personalities. And I'm thankful for those who don't get discouraged or annoyed when I over-analyze stuff, but rather laugh, smile and tell me when I'm being stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment