I recently received two gifts from friends after they had come back from trips. These are beautiful tokens of appreciation and consideration, and I think I know why. A person is on vacation, they are away from friends and sometimes family, in foreign, and sometimes exotic and exciting, environments. Traveling prompts a multitude of emotions, none of which are typically stable, seeing as though you are away from your home, or returning to a former home, and therefore nostalgic. All in all, the idea of traveling is a loaded emotional experience. And by bringing it back, for you, that person is giving to you a part of that travelling experience to you. But more importantly, for someone, amongst the excitement, to single out a moment, or an object, that triggers a fond memory or reminder of you, (a person potentially hundreds of miles away), is very powerful. And those two things I find very beautiful, and often get overlooked when we receive a cheesy souvenir from a friend, that made them think of us.

No comments:
Post a Comment