Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 116 - people who don't pressure

One of the biggest problems teenagers are faced with is peer pressure. The problem with peer pressure is a lack of respect for a person's comfort level, and I think it stems from some sort of self-guilt or insecurity. People doing like doing things alone. let alone things they know aren't in their best interest. And I think by pressuring someone to join alleviates that guilt. Not feeling comfortable doing something, regardless of how 'wrong' or stupid it might seem, simply saying no once should be enough. People who respect your boundaries will acknowledge this no, and not judge or coerce you because of it. This shows a compassion towards other people, and a clear sense of self-confidence on top of that. And I'm thankful that I do have people in my life who respect me enough not to pressure me into doing things I'm not comfortable with, regardless of how stupid, significant they may seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment