Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 104 - friends who won't let you insult yourself

I always find myself saying things like, Man I'm such an idiot, or, I know this might sound stupid but..., and I say them habitually. We all have a tendency to do this, and sometimes our friends are avid about not letting us say these sort of things. And it's an important habit to form, not insulting yourself. And having people in your life that remind and even scold you for doing so is a blessing. For one thing, there's enough people in this world who aren't going to like you, and will talk shit about you, why do it to yourself? Secondly, the more you affirm yourself that you are an idiot, never get things right, have nothing valuable to say, etc. the more you're instilling that belief in yourself. Now doing the opposite, and praising yourself constantly, is just as detrimental, because then you develop some sort of inflamed false confidence. But reminders that you should not speak negatively about yourself are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment