When I was younger I never really appreciated my mom's cooking. I always wanted to either have fast food or microwave dinners. I took for granted what a blessing it was to have a well prepared meal for me. Nowadays, especially after leaving home for school and work, coming home to my mom's home cooked meals brings me much warmth. What I find most special about this is that it doesn't even matter if the food is amazing or elaborate. There are many meals that mothers make that aren't spectacular, but I think as we get older we begin to appreciate where these meals come from. My mother worked a factory job, so she never really got a chance to cook me breakfast in the mornings, so on Saturdays she always made a point of making an elaborate breakfast. Only now do I really understand why. For a mother to watch her children eat food she's prepared, even if its some makeshift meal, its a clear form of providing nourishment. So on those levels, where we need maternal care and the maternal instincts of a mother, a home cooked meal is a representation of that. It is a moment where those fundamental needs are shared between a mother and her child. That's probably why I remember those pancake breakfast with such joy.

No comments:
Post a Comment