I get caught up sometimes, in ideas, moments, what ifs and all that comes with my ever impending lack of patience, that I sometimes forget I just need to breathe. One of my closest friends told me something today that shook me. He said to me after a long conversation, "a breathe is one of the only non-judgemental things in this world, and will remind you of the present." That truth almost brought me to tears, and it was because how foolish I felt because of the control I had given distractions in my life. We're told in, Yoga practises, meditation exercises or other relaxation techniques that you're to focus on you're breathing, and it's only now that I understand why. When you sit and think about all the things occurring around us, the amount of things we are preoccupied with and affect how we feel and what we do, breathing is the only constant. It is the only thing you have to do at any given moment. Knowing that can refocus a perspective. We lose ourselves in moments and the brouhaha that is modern life, and feel the need to plummet into things. Yet really, the only thing we ever have to do is breathe. Really. And there is something very powerful to that. 

No comments:
Post a Comment