Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 76 - friends that count

I found an old Chinese fortune in my wallet yesterday, it said "Friends should be weighed, not counted." A lot of times we get caught up with things that people do which are either inconsiderate, disrespectful or insensitive. And it's easy to let this paint a picture of the sort of relations we have with people. But, finding that piece of paper was just a reminder that it's the ones that can be weighed that matter. If you think about it, diamonds are found amongst dirt, and there's something to be said about that in relation to real life. So today I am thankful for the sincere, deep and meaningful friendships I have in my life, the ones with substance; how ever many there are. And that's not to say that all the other acquaintances are bad people, no, not at all. They're just not the ones that count for you, and that's totally ok. Narrowing your focus is a beautiful thing, because on the grand spectrum there is a lot of bullshit out there. But when you shed the light on more specific and people, you'll find that their friendship makes up for it all, and most of the unecessary fades. And I think once you start to truly understand that, then you can actually begin to appreciate the people around you and let go of things that really aren't meant to affect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment