Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 92 - sacred things

I was listening to this radiolab podcast today while I was working and at the end of this podcast there was an interview with a scientist that was part of the Golden Record Voyager project. The project created sets of records with a collection of sounds, music and images that depicted life on earth as a whole. These records were sent out into space with hopes of being found thousands of years from now by whomever from wherever. After listening to the interview and the parts of the record I found online, it occurred to me what makes our world beautiful. The things that make up our world seem simple yet extremely complex and powerful. The calming sounds of a waterfall, a warm hello, a kiss, a blossoming tree, the sound of laughter, a bird flying for the first time: all these small moments. What I'm trying to say is that today, I am thankful for the sacred things that make up our world; things which can be defined scientifically, but have emotional effects which are almost unintelligible. It's these moments that trigger an inherent transcendental connection to the world around us. And if you think about the world as a network of all of these small miraculous moments, it really is a blessing to experience them on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment