Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 199 - implementing learned values

This song was playing during a movie I was watching today, and it immediately took me back to my high school days. It made me think of my graduation and was beginning to make my own life choices. I remember listening to this song a lot during that time for some reason, and now it seems as though the song is applicable again. There are people in your life that teach you lessons and change you, they are integral in you growing as a person, they are mentors, role models. And a hard thing to do is let go of them, move on on your own. It's a little scary, just like a kid going to school for the first time. but there's something really special in that. It's like all these beautiful and valuable lessons are being implemented into someone else's life, this person is 'doing the right thing' because of the values you've instilled in them. I think making these people proud is something to be cherished. This song just makes me think of my late grandparents, how although they're gone, and I'm on my own right now, their effort in making me an honourable person is still living on, and I owe it to them. Sometimes we forget that we have a lineage of people behind us that we have obligation to, espcially in North America, we are preoccupied with our individual success that we forget to pay homage to our mentors, our families and teachers, the ones who have brought us here. And the act of trying our best to implement those well-intended values into our lives, when we learn to stand on our own, is really a beautiful thing. It in itself is an act of graditude.

No comments:

Post a Comment