No matter what profession, job, school whatever mildly elitist group you're in, there are going to be people there who others don't respect or think "deserve to be there". They're mostly the scapegoats of a lot of jokes. The thing that bothers me most about this, is that most of these people who get ridiculed in these circles probably went through the same admissions, interview, application etc., process as everyone else. I think its important to keep that in mind, before passing judgments on other people. Because it's those judgments that will inhibit you from finding out just why these people might be deserving enough to walk with the same degree, job title, or what have you as yourself. Granted there are case where people do cheat the systems and do gain things in corrupted ways, but that's not what I'm talking about here. And I'm thankful for the times I've set those judgements aside and have found that there's a variety of talent, intelligence and capability around me, sometimes it's just not as in-your-face or in a familiar form. And I'm thankful for these people, because for one, they break the molds of what is asked for and two, they help you understand the importance of celebrating diversity, at least if you give them a chance.

No comments:
Post a Comment