I was driving home today in rush hour, bumper to bumper for a god stretch of road. At one point, a side street joined the main road and there were three cars waiting for the never ending string of cars to stop so they could turn. The man in front of me let them in, and as I inched up a third came and I stopped to let him in. The car behind me honked its horn, to which I gave him the finger. Here we have two opposing types of people. The one, the car in front of me, that let's people in, despite the minor inconvenience, and two the car behind me that thinks its the only car in a hurry to get home. I've been meaning to write a post about this happening for a while. Because considerate drivers, in an age and society that is individually focused on hurrying to get to our respective destinations, is sometimes a hard thing to come by. People who let you in lanes, wait for pedestrians to cross, don't bud in those extra 30 seconds to catch the lagging end of an advanced green light, these people understand that we all are in a hurry. Those extra thirty - sixty seconds we lose in order to make someone else's drive more safe and enjoyable are not pinnacle moments in our lives. Sure, it might feel as though you've reached a destination in the quickest time possible, but really 60 seconds isn't going to kill you. So thank you to the drivers who realise they're not the only ones in a hurry. 

No comments:
Post a Comment