Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 244 - small efforts from parents

Moving back in with your folks after you've moved out is close to impossible. There comes a time in all of our lives where we grow out of our parents. They are set in stone, for the most part, in that old habits die hard, and at this point in their lives, they're not about to change their values, opinions and habits as easily as say I would. This can cause some friction between me and them in that I am a different person in many ways than them. But sometimes, although tough for them, small efforts are made to respect my space, privacy, desires and lifestyle. And its this tiny actions that really speak wonders, because for one, being stubborn people, and two, given their age, these efforts are actually quite difficult and therefore deliberate. And I think it's the moment we start to realise these small efforts as large gestures that we can truly begin to develop a new relationship with our parents after we both have grown into opinionated, independent and sometimes stubborn adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment