Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 233 - humility

I found myself around the block from the church I was baptized in today. I decided to go in and light a candle. While I was doing so this song came on my iPod, funny how that works out. And although it's slightly melodramatic, standing there in this room, where my 'spiritual life', so-to-speak, came to be, made me realize the importance of my own humility. I stood there and realised how much of a tainted version of that innocent person I had become. Standing there today, I realised that I can do some extremely stupid and selfish things. And I started to feel tears come into my eyes. I think that's a moment when grace hits you, a moment of humility. A part of me really felt at peace with that, because as I've mentioned time and time again, that's what makes us human, our flaws, our mistakes, our imperfection. And having a reminder of how far away from our purity we've come is extremely humiliating; but liberating as well. Realising there are things greater than us I think is one of the most important things a person should go through. Because it's not to say they you need to believe in a God, Allah, Vishnu, Mother Earth, Buddha or anything for that matter. It's the fact that assuming that we make, break or are this universe just feeds that self-involved arrogance that's going to destroy it. Because it's not wrong to feel flawed and jaded that's what we are. And is there something greater that makes sense of and finds beauty in all of that, I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment