I spent the afternoon today in an antique shop, bought a few new records. There's two things from this that have made me happy, one is all the wonderful things in the antique store and two the new records I bought. I am always so calmed by both of these things, old stores packed full of memories, well crafted nick knacks that once meant something to someone and old records, that crackle, have a richness to their sound that you don't find anymore. The reason these things are worth mentioning is because nowadays we live in a time where everything is so accessible to us. You could record a song and have it at your fingertips within minutes. All we buy is almost easily replaceable and mass manufactured. And although a lot of these things have personal meaning to all of us, whenever I listen to an older record or spend hours in an antique shop, I feel so calm. And what I'm about to say falls borderline onto the crazy side, but I feel like these things are talking to me. They're part of a collection of personal histories. They make you stop and listen, at least for me they do. So I'm thankful for that, it sort of fogs out any sense of entitlement that is pretty common nowadays. That or maybe I should have been born in the 1940's or something. Either or works I guess.

No comments:
Post a Comment