Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 269 - the olympic games

The Olympic opening ceremonies were on tonight! I think what I love most about the Olympics is that they're so inclusive. For once every two years the world unites in an exhibition of its finest athletes. And no I'm not really a sports fanatic. But I feel that it's the patriotism and camaraderie that the event promotes that makes it so amazing. We as a planet unite in celebrating talent and as a country we celebrate our nation, especially this year where the Olympics (games of Ancient Greek origins) are being held in my home country (Canada). For the first time as I remember, (because I don't remember the Calgary games), the two nations I personally belong to are being celebrated. The games are a reminder of our strengths and where we come from. Watching the opening ceremonies today, from a nation that really does celebrate diversity, I felt so proud and moved. They promote good sportsmanship and celebrate positivity. Although I'm sure there's more competitiveness that goes along with all of that, but what I'm focusing on is the uniting force the Olympic Games have, on a nation and on a global scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment