Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 259 - conversations with mentors

I had a meeting with a professor today, and it was extremely nice to see him excited about my work. It's one thing for you to be excited about your work, another thing for your colleagues to be, and a whole other thing if someone you're looking to for advice, guidance and look up to, to be very engaged and enthusiastic about what you're trying to do. As much as you shouldn't do anything in order to seek this approval, receiving it does help solidify your intentions. I think it's because it's sometimes hard to find mentors with similar opinions about things as you; especially mentors that are excited about these opinions. So today after my meeting, I felt extremely refreshed. I didn't have to 'prove my case' as you sometimes do in these situations. It was more a conversation, and I think that's a great thing to be able to have with someone you look up to. Because its an indication that you're actually learning something from them, so much that you can actually converse without having to prove yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment