Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 266 - long walks

It was roughly 3:45pm and I was meeting my friends for supper at around 6:30pm in another part of the city. I started walking towards the destination assuming that I would kill some time and most likely take public transit once I grew tired. Roughly four and a half kilometers later, after diddling around stores, coffee shops and this and that's on the way there, I found myself in front of my friends house, without breaking a sweat. We live in an extremely fast paced culture, where we often forget to stop and smell the roses. I had the chance today to take a quicker route and doddle around in one spot for longer but chose to enjoy the journey instead. And this wasn't even intentional, I just kept saying to myself, should I get on the streetcar? Nah, I'll walk a bit more. What I've really taken from today is the value in enjoying the ride. We're always zooming by in cars, transit, even walking, that we forget to savour the journey. I wonder if before the car was invented if people understood that there were a lot of things to cherish on the way to a destination. Or what ever happened to road trips, now they seem more like a novelty than a necessity. It's like record players and hand drawn artwork, it's not as common nowadays, but a novel choice. But it's these things, these moments that celebrate process that remind us the journey actually forms the destination. Because you learn from it, and firm your decision to go somewhere. Is it worth it? Do I really want to go there? Would I rather go back? Or somewhere else?

1 comment: