Tuesday, October 19, 2010

#287 teaching children

I was at a family get-together tonight, playing with my wonderful nephews.  My one nephew is absolutely brilliant, he's a quiet type that really enjoys learning new things. He could recite and transcribe the entire alphabet at the age of two and a half.  Tonight, he was sitting on my lap with an activity book, suited for a child a little beyond his age, with a word search in it. We started reading the words and slowly finding them together, until by the last few words he was all on his own.  He's four now, and I found this so amazing.  I think teaching children,  either colours, shapes, spelling, reading, whatever it may be is really an excessive in experiencing sacred things in this universe. I know learning how to finish a word search isn't exactly the most influential lessons of this kid's life, but seeing how quickly he picked up on it made me really aware of how much we impact kids and how really taking the time to teach them good, right and just lessons at that age is both necessary and such a blessing.  It's one of the few moments in life that we have where we can seriously see the exchange of knowledge, and I think that's really powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment