The reason for this blog is to force me reflect every day on something I'm thankful for. It may sound cliche, but I truly believe reminding myself every day of something I am thankful for will help me as a person on many levels. So I've decided to give myself a deadline, to see what happens when I do this. I will make a post every day for one year. If it's as good as I hope, then I'll obviously continue. Don't get me wrong, I can be a completely cynical person from time to time. There are plenty of things we interact with on a daily basis that deter us from seeing anything that's worth noting or being happy for. And it's not to say that I'm trying to eliminate all those distractions, because they're useful in their own ways, but I think in order to remain a grounded, considerate and honest person, you have to step back and really admit that certain moments are given to you, and that you are lucky because of that.
Yeah I know this all sounds super mushy, but does it really? Or are we just used to being completely self-involved? I mean, I know I have, plenty of times, I'm an architect, an artist - I do have it in me. And that's one of the reasons I'm probably doing this publicly, but the other reason is to put it out there. I thought about doing this in private and keeping a log of it, but it seemed too valuable not to share. People should know this stuff, good things shouldn't be kept secret.
Yeah I know this all sounds super mushy, but does it really? Or are we just used to being completely self-involved? I mean, I know I have, plenty of times, I'm an architect, an artist - I do have it in me. And that's one of the reasons I'm probably doing this publicly, but the other reason is to put it out there. I thought about doing this in private and keeping a log of it, but it seemed too valuable not to share. People should know this stuff, good things shouldn't be kept secret.
I love this idea Elfie
ReplyDeleteI actually do this on a regular basis as well...have been for years. Every time I write in my journal, I end with "gratitude" - one thing that I was thankful for that day. It's a good way to remember the nice stuff :)
Something about this sounds familiar...you may have mentioned this to me a while ago, because I remember thinking about someone doing this as well when I was considering doing it. Also, you're much more diligent than I am, had this not been public I probably wouldn't have a reminder to this everyday.
ReplyDelete