Wednesday, September 8, 2010

#283 things that are 'good'

I think part of becoming an adult is realising that extreme happiness doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing for you. I think what I've recently begun to appreciate is things that are good. What I mean by good, are things that aren't dramatically amazing, but comfortable, easily adaptable and just feel good. I used to think that in order to find the right career, person house or what have you in our lives, there's an initial spark, an explosive magnetism. This obviously still rings true in 'good' things, but that spark holds a different sort of exciting; it's less extreme and more substantial, I think. There's a line from one of my favourite movies, High Fidelity, where Rob Gordon talks about his relationship with his ex-girlfriend that explains this: "She didn't make me miserable, or anxious, or ill at ease. You know, it sounds boring, but it wasn't. It wasn't spectacular either." It was just good. But really good." If something, or someone, can make you happy, in the purest sense, without throwing your off your chair, it's good, it doesn't take away from your life but merely add to it. It may sound slightly underwhelming or boring, but really it's not; it's consistently refreshing and enriching, and these are things that are real and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment