Saturday, June 5, 2010

#282 catching someone talking to themselves

I was driving on HWY401 the other day and I often forget that people often look into other people's cars. Why does this matter, well it mostly has to do with the fact that I often sing to myself in the car without realising that I probably look pretty funny to an outsider. When I was driving then, the other day, I got stuck in a bit of traffic. As cars were slowing down, I turned down my music, not to annoy the cars around me with my blaring tunes, but was still bobbing my head to whatever song was on the radio. I looked to my left and saw a middle aged man in his car pounding away on his steering wheel to the beat of whatever song he was listening to. He was so into it. I thought that this was awesome, and realised how much I love catching people doing that, or even talking to themselves. I think it's because they are moments that people truly lack all inhibitions. We all sing or talk to ourselves from time to time, at home, in a car, in the shower, etc. But when you catch someone doing it, I think there's something kind of special about that. Because they are very personal acts often intended to only be appreciated by the person performing them. If you receive them well, without judging or making fun of the person, its a very nice way to let people know that it's ok to be themselves, even if that means pounding on a steering wheel in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment