Monday, May 31, 2010

#279 people that matter

Not worrying what others think of you is probably one of the hardest things that I've had to deal with my life. I know, sounds pretty ridiculous doesn't it? It's funny how many people (me included) restrict, adjust or conform themselves in order to love, have friendships and even survive socially. A lot of people hide many parts of themselves in fear of rejection. A small example is something that I've experienced recently. I got a tattoo not too long ago, and some people love it, others find it as a reason to judge. Obviously it's one small example, but it's really helped me come to terms with the fact that: no matter how nice you are, or how much you know you try to be a good person, some person out there will not agree with your lifestyle or find you as a suitable companion. People are going always to have something to say about everyone, and the one thing you have absolutely no control over is what people think of you. Regardless of how much you try to portray the image you want of yourself, someone will not take it the way you want it. Why do we find it so necessary to convince people of who we are. Everyone does it, some more than others, and the act itself isn't really what I'm criticizing here. It's more the fact that it's wasted energy. I recently read a quote that I think sums up something that I've been really feeling lately, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss. So at the end of the day, I know I'm a good person; by my moral standards, I think I'm doing alright. There are a lot of parts of me that are hard to swallow, sure, but not any more than anyone else. Those who I love and those who love me, don't need me to filter myself. Two of the most important things in life, I think, are forming nurturing relationships and knowing (loving) yourself. If you know you're a good person, surrounded by loving people and making a life that is right for you, all the other shit really doesn't matter - it only limits you from living the life you truly desire.

1 comment: